HI5002 Finance For Business Group Assignment
Briefly introduction of your group’s work: the purpose of assignment, key findings and structure of the assignment (not more than 300 words)
Part 1. Research and fact finding of Australian financial market
1. Comparison of three essential types of businesses in Australia: use the following criteria and organize your comparison in a relevant table:
1) Owner/s of businesses
2) Level of difficulty in setting up the business
3) Life the business (limited or unlimited)
4) Liabilities of owners over the business’s debts
5) Legal status of business
2. Analysis of five basic principles of finance: Define the five basic principles finance and justify your analysis by illustrating examples: Choose one or more events described by media (CNN Business, Financial Times, Dow Jones financial news etc.) about companies and financial market. Analyse that event (s) applying the five basis principles of finance. Note: Each principle is to be illustrated by at least one event.
Fact finding of the trading on ASX
Assuming your group is working for an institutional investor that is considering to trade actively on ASX in the near future. Go to the website of Australian Stock Exchange (ASX), do a fact finding to answer the following questions:
(1) Identify at least 5 types of information the public companies provide on the area of Previous Trading Day Announcement.
(2) How are the dividend released by the public companies listed on ASX. Briefly explain the concepts of ex-dividend date, record date, date payable, dividend franking and type of dividends by the companies listed on ASX.
(3) Name 7 types of trading reports listed in ASX 24 Reports. Briefly describe the content of each report.
(4) How many types of calculators available on ASX website for the usage of investors and practitioners? Name them and explain the usage of each calculator.
(5) What are the questions you should ask your broker before you start trading?
2 Fact Finding of financial market regulator in Australia Assuming after graduation you would like to apply for a position at ASIC. Go to the website of Australian Securities and Investment Commission, do a fact finding and answer the following questions:
(1) What are the ASIC roles?
(2) Who and what ASIC regulate?
(3) What are the powers of ASIC?